Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mage Guide

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wølfenstein
Admin
Wølfenstein

Mage Guide Empty
PostSubject: Mage Guide   Mage Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 pm

NOTE THIS IS LEVEL 80 GUIDE! (BASIC ARE STILL THERE THO)

First of all "What do I need?"

After patch 4.0.1 a lot has changed. We got mastery now!, dont worry it sucks balls untill 85 for us. The only way to get it is by reforging but this will make you lose other stats. Anyways here are the specs with stats priorities. Always be hitcapped (17%) and then give Intellect prior over other stats. The more spellpower you have, the bigger your hits/crits are going to be. And for hit... You cant crit what you cant hit!

Fire

Hit > Intellect > Crit > Haste

The reason why Crit > Haste is simple =) [Hot Streak], an instant pyro that hits harder then a roughly 2.5 second unhasted fireball. Keep in mind. The more haste you have, the faster your Hot Streaks will proc, the more Pyroblast!'s you will do in each fight. Try to find a balance between these two stats. 40% crit 30% haste works well for me. To test this out, they made some awesome big sticks in every Capital city called "Training Poles"

Arcane

Hit > Intellect > Haste > Crit

You will get a lot of crit out of [Arcane Potency]. (10% proc chance, and once each 2 Minutes).
The more haste you have, the more Arcane Potency will proc and that equals more crit,
and with a lot of haste your faster at your 4th stack of Arcane Blast which hits like trains =)

Frost

Hit > Intellect > Haste > Crit

More haste means more [Brain Freeze], [Fingers of Frost] and faster frostbolts =D. I didnt do much testing with this build yet. So more is yet to come!

Talents and Glyphs

Fire: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0bZfchbkbRosfoc:o0Mmdam0z

The reason I took [Impact]? Well basicly it's awesome if anyone got some fire dots running on your main target, and adds suddenly fall from the sky,
you got your awesome Impact proc and spread all Fire over time damage to all targets! This will lead to faster deaths of adds. Thanks to you! Welcome higher on recount already =)
[Blast Wave]? We'll if you were a brainless nub and didnt use Impact proc on those adds (or it simply didnt proc) This is here to make your mistakes right! Slow these goddamn adds! We get more time nuking them Wink (I see now... I dont need this tallent because I rock!)
Rest of it is all pretty straight forwarth

Arcane: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ohIMMRhRMRRobZc:mMcw0z0zm

[Arcane Concentration]: The more mana you have, the more damage you deal. 10% proc chance means a lot of free Arcane Blasts in a fight.
I prefer [Prismatic Cloak] over [Improved Blink] basicly because I pop so much dps I get high treat. Insant treat resetters are our friends =).
I dont like Improved blink because 99% of the times you blink, you are already at your position. Casting Blink is a waist of your global cooldown. If you need to move a bit, do so and use Arcane Barrage.

Frost: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0hZbZffMRsIsz0o:zcVdoaz0m

Well... Frost Talents suck. Thank me for my indepth guide about frost!

Enchants

Helm:Arcanum of Burning Mysteries
Shoulders:Greater Inscription of the Storm
Back:Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed
Chest:Enchant Chest - Powerful Stats
Bracers:Enchant Bracers - Superior Spellpower
Gloves:Enchant Gloves - Exceptional Spellpower
Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle
Legs:Brilliant Spellthread
Boots:Enchant Boots - Tuskarr's Vitality
Weapon: Onehander Black Magic, Staff Enchant Staff - Greater Spellpower

Why Tuskarr's Vitality? The less time you spent travelling, the more time you spent dpsing

Rotation

Fire

At the start of the fight cast pyroblast. Mainly to prevent overaggro issues at start and using combustion asap. Living Bomb, Frostfire Bolt 3 times, it will leave a DoT which actually does some nice damage, Fireball spam after. And ofcourse Pyroblast on Hot Streak proc. Use Combution as all of your dots deal the most damage. By this I mean Trinkets Procced, Mirror Images out (18% inc damage) + Any damage Increasement buffs (potoins, or bossfight buffs) Make sure to use it after Living Bomb, Frostfire Bolt, Ignite and Pyroblasts DoT's. These are the DoT's that need to be maxed out.

Arcane

(Mage armor is used!) Arcane Blast, Cooldowns, Arcane Blast spam. Evocation @ 30% Mana then Arcane Blast spam again untill 70% mana. At this point start using Arcane missles every 5 Arcane Blast's. At 50% start using to more often to gain more mana then you spend. Things to keep in mind: Evocate as much as possible, stay high on mana because of mastery

Frost

Frostbolt spam! (Mage is about spamming... ye you know what I'm talking about! We aren't pro... We just own recount!)Deepfreeze on Fingers of Frost, if Deepfreeze is on cooldown use Ice Lance. Frostfire Bolt on Brain Freeze proc. Water elemental freeze is used every cooldown to get Fingers of Frost.

PVP

Faceroll every class in BG Farming with a pvp fire spec http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oMZfsGrkdRokso! Just stay behind and spam Living bombs and Instant Pyroblast!'s. At 85 arena will be a different story.

Good luck at facerolling ICC and Recount. [Godmode] OFF

Greets <Xenonmage, the Faceroller>

**EDIT Cataclysm bug fix!

I've read yesterday that cataclysm will come with a dps fix for us which will even make our dps better =D. The reason why Mastery is still wack is because most of our DoT is done with our Ignite and we arent 85 yet. But Ignite isn't working as intended. For example: We cast Living bomb, and Fireball straight after. The Fireball crits for 20k damage and will leave an Ignite DoT on the target dealing 2k damage each second. After the first second your Living bomb DoT crits for 4000 leaving an Ignite that only deals 400 damage overwriting the other Ignite, that is 1600 DPS loss!

At cataclysm things will change. According to Blizzard:

Right now, up to 50% of Ignite damage disappears due to the technical limitations of spells critting within certain timeframes. This has implications for Mage dps and the value of Mastery as a stat. Is overall damage being balanced to compensate and can we expect a solution in the near future?
We're resolving that by rolling up any "lost" ignite damage into the next ignite that overwrote it.

Trust me... You will be on top =D

Cheers Xenonmage - Burning Steppes EU. For the Guide.

Last edited by Wølfenstein on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://aligatorsix.forumotion.com
Prozzcas
Admin
Prozzcas

Mage Guide Empty
PostSubject: wow ..   Mage Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 pm

wow .. nice xD you really know the classes! Could you make a warrior guide ? that could be nice
Back to top Go down
Brudén

Brudén

Mage Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mage Guide   Mage Guide I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:39 pm

it's copy / paste ;/
Back to top Go down
Prozzcas
Admin
Prozzcas

Mage Guide Empty
PostSubject: :o   Mage Guide I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 pm

ahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mage Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mage Guide   Mage Guide I_icon_minitime